At Translink, we want all passengers to be able to move freely and choose the way in which they travel themselves. We can help you to fulfil this need, but sometimes we need to know something about you. We believe that privacy is all about freedom and the ability to decide by yourself how your data is used and by whom.
We reserve the right to revise this privacy statement by making changes or additions to the information on this page. We therefore recommend that you check this page regularly. If significant changes are made to the privacy statement, we will draw your attention to these clearly on this page.
In our privacy statement, we have set out how we handle your personal data for you. You will find our complete privacy statement here. A summary is provided below.
What is personal data?
As soon as data can be traced directly to a person, it is referred to as personal data. Examples of personal data are your name, address, date of birth and bank account number. Your OV-chipkaart number or username can also be considered personal data.
Why does Translink process data?
Translink processes data in order to provide the following services:
- Production, distribution, termination and replacement of the OV-chipkaart.
- Responding to requests through OV-chipkaart Customer Services, such as blocking a personal OV-chipkaart after loss or theft.
- Offering the possibility to use the public-transport travel history, for example, through My OV-chip.
- Loading credit and managing the credit that is loaded onto the OV-chipkaarts.
- Processing transactions, such as checking in and out.
- Returning your remaining credit to your last known bank account after your OV-chipkaart has expired.
- Storage, for a maximum of 5 years after expiry of an OV-chipkaart, of the minimum data set after you have requested a refund of your remaining credit, in order to be able to demonstrate that we have paid out the remaining credit on an expired OV-chipkaart.
- Debtor management, in order to collect payment for transactions made.
Please note: Translink does not process any more personal data than necessary. Translink does not process your data for marketing purposes and will not send you any offers of products or services.
Translink also processes data for fraud management, including prevention, detection and measures to combat fraud. We do this on the basis of our legitimate interest as a company.
Please note: If you would like to object to the use of your data for this purpose, please send an email to: email@example.com.
What are your rights?
Your data is your property. We therefore handle your data carefully and process and secure it according to the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The GDPR provides the following rights for individuals:
- access to your data
- correction of your data
- objection to processing of your personal data
- right to be forgotten
- right to data portability
Send your questions about privacy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not use this email address regarding questions about the OV-chipkaart. We will not answer your question.
Do you have questions about your OV-chipkaart? Visit our Contact page.