What to do with an expired card
An OV-chipkaart is valid for five years. After this period you will no longer be able to travel with your OV-chipkaart. A personal OV-chipkaart can be renewed. Your new card costs € 7,50. If you don't need a new card, you can apply for a credit refund. With an anonymous card you can use the remaining credit or request a credit refund.
From six weeks before your personal card expires, you can renew your personal card through your account. You can apply for a refund of the credit on your old card at the same time.
Renew or apply for a refund
- Log on through the button below
- Select your card
- Make your choice (renew or only refund)
- If you order a new card, you will receive it within three working days
- Your credit will be returned to your bank account within 15 days after your card expires
It is not possible to renew a anonymous card. You can apply for a refund of the remaining credit.
Apply for a refund
- Is your credit less than € 20? Apply for a refund online.
- Is your credit over € 20? Then fill in this form and send it to us with your card.
Tip: write down your card number and the end date. You need this information if you ever have a question about your anonymous card.