My personal OV-chipkaart is not working/broken. What should I do?
If your card is no longer working, first check that the card is definitely broken. You can do this as follows:
- Is there a negative balance on your card? In this case you will no longer be able to check in or travel using a pass. Reload your credit to be able to travel again.
- Did you forget to check out a couple of times? If you fail to check out twelve times, your card will be blocked. You can remove this temporary block at a counter for the operator you checked in with most recently.
- If you have automatic reloading on your card, your credit may have been temporarily blocked because failed collections have not been paid. Or because your debt amounts to more than € 60. You can find out how to pay this and remove the block here.
Definitely broken? Apply for a new card
Is your OV-chipkaart definitely broken? Report your card as defective online. You can apply for a replacement card straight away. This costs €11. You will receive your replacement card within an average of three working days. If you had a pass and/or automatic reloading on your old card, these will be transferred to your replacement card. If there was credit remaining on your old card, this will be returned to your bank account.
If you don't have an account, you can do one of four things:
- Create an account. Add your card and report your card as defective online.
- Request a form at an operator's counter. You can use this to send in your defective OV-chipkaart and apply for a new one.
- Phone OV-chipkaart Customer Services on 0900 – 0980 (normal phone cost)
A new card costs €11. If you apply for a new card over the phone, you will receive this within an average of three working days. If you use the form, you will receive the new card within two weeks of sending the form. Ask your operator how you can travel until you receive your new card.